The objective of the stay is to discover, observe and photograph the iberian lynx as well as the fauna populating the landscape of the Dehesa de la Sierra Morena (Black Mountains).
Day 1: Arrival Malaga- Transfer Sierra Morena. 3 hour drive
Arrival in Malaga in the early afternoon. Meeting with your guide. Transfer to Andujar, Sierra Morena. Along the way we will start bird watching.
Rural accommodation in a double/twin room.
Day 2 to 7 Andujar Sierra Morena.
The Andujàr natural park offers a magnificent landscape, wooded and rocky hills. Landscapes shaped by the pasture of deer and bovids the Dehesa. The Sierra Morena is one of the two main sites in Spain of the endangered Iberian lynx, hills ranging from 500 to 1,290 meters above sea level.
A vehicle trip will be organized in a private property in search of the lynx all day. We will use the vehicle where we will position ourselves in a strategic place to observe lynx and birds.
The rest of the week we will alternate the search for the lynx in the public area, observation of otters, ibex, Iberian eagle,… Many opportunities for birds: blue magpie, kingfisher,…
We will leave at dawn for the observation sites and will return after sunset to the accommodation for our evening meal. Lunch will be in the form of a picnic.
A day will be dedicated to the photography hide for the lynx. A hide near a small water point, photography is done through a window and the tripod is necessary. Silence and minimizing movement are essential to success. The toilets are very basic (a bucket or camping toilet)
Day 7: our last day to observe the lynx. At sunset, we will leave for Malaga with evening meal on the way, accommodation at the hotel.
Day 8: Breakfast and transfer to airport.
• accommodation around the lynx observation area in Andujar for 6 nights (depending on the dates, one night will be organized as close as possible to the activities), 1 night around Malaga (depending on flight schedules)
• meals (breakfast, a hot evening meal and picnic)
• Transport from Malaga airport and back.
• Out every day
• a vehicle excursion to a private property to observe the lynx
• A day on the photo hide from around 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. for lynx photography
• French- english speaking guide.
• air flights (Malaga)
• personal expenses and drinks.
• Travel, health insurance
Equipment and clothing:
- Camera (minimum 300 mm lens with converter). sometimes lynx sightings are made over a considerable distance. Also consider landscapes with a 24-70mm lens. Monopod/Tripod for stability and hide.
- Bottle of water / thermos.
- backpack for the day
- cap, sunscreen and sunglasses (the lynx site is in full sun)
- personal and basic medications (headache,...)
- clothes in discreet colors
- rainwear (poncho style to also protect the camera), umbrela
- gloves, hat, fleece and down jacket for cold mornings.
- Hand sanitizer.
The temperature will be between + 15c/17c during the day and 0/+5c in the morning. The feeling of cold is real, winter clothes are necessary.
Other information :
The currency used is the euro. Bring cash for small purchases.
Alcohol and other drinks not included.
Wifi possible at accommodation most days.
Remember to take your European social security card (purple card) and travel insurance. Photocopy your travel documents and print your health pass.